livin is pleased to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2015, taking place 14th – 20st September.
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
Landlords such as livin are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. It is our responsibility to ensure the maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
livin is legally obliged to make sure:
- Pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
- All appliances and flues provided for tenants use have an annual safety check. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at http://www.staygassafe.co.uk/.
- Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register.
- All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
- A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
- You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.
Before any gas work is carried out always ask the engineer to see their ID card and make sure they are qualified for the work being undertaken.
To find out when your next gas safety check is due, contact customer services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and to find and check an engineer go to http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ or call 0800 408 5500.